close
DOWNLOAD 100MB MOBILE APP

SA vs AUS: Glenn Maxwell ruled out due to elbow injury, to undergo surgery

All-rounder Glenn Maxwell has been ruled out of Australia’s upcoming T20I and ODI series against South Africa, starting February 21. D’Arcy Short is set to replace Maxwell, who will be undergoing surgery on his injured elbow.

The 31-year-old was recently named in the national squad during his fruitful stint as Melbourne Stars captain in the Big Bash League. Maxwell, who played the entire BBL while also managing his injury, told the team’s medical staff that the pain had increased over the weekend. He was then assessed by a team of doctors as confirmed by a release from Cricket Australia. Scans later revealed loose fragments of bone within his elbow joint, which means Maxwell will have to undergo immediate arthroscopic surgery on Thursday (February 13).

“We are disappointed to lose Glenn this close to the tour as we were looking forward to welcoming him back to the national side in both the 20- and 50-over formats after his break during the summer,” national selector Trevor Hohns said.

“Unfortunately, the pain he has experienced in the elbow in the latter stages of the BBL increased over the weekend and he will have surgery immediately to rectify the situation.”

Maxwell’s like-for-like replacement, Short has played four ODIs and 20 T20Is in his career so far. The 29-year-old will see this series as a golden opportunity to cement his place in the side. A swashbuckling batsman who’s also a useful part-time spinner, Short will be instrumental in stitching Australia’s middle order.

Leave a Response