Australian cricket board had recently stated that it will scrap the one-off Test match against Afghanistan if the country doesn’t allow women to play cricket. However, as per the recent happenings, the Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) chairman Azizullah Fazli has stated that the ACB is committed to promoting women’s game in the nation. He also pinned his hopes on the Test match against Australia to go ahead without any hindrance.
Australia is scheduled to play a one-off Test match in Afghanistan starting from November 27. Recently, Cricket Afghanistan put forward their side by asserting that women’s cricket was incredibly important to it. Reacting to the media reports regarding the Taliban government not allowing women’s cricket in the country, CA stated that it wouldn’t play the Test match if that is the case.
“If recent media reports that women’s cricket will not be supported in Afghanistan are substantiated, Cricket Australia would have no alternative but to not host Afghanistan for the proposed test match due to be played in Hobart,” CA had said as reported by The Hindu.
However, ACB chairman Azizullah Fazli stated that the board had talks with Cricket Australia. “We officially talked with them and the issue regarding the Test match will be resolved,” Fazli said.
There’s no threat to Afghanistan’s participation in the T20 World Cup: ACB chairman
Azizullah Fazli returned as the ACB chairman last month. He stated that he was still waiting for instructions from the government on the future of women’s cricket in the nation.
“The new government of Afghanistan is focusing on its priority programs. They haven’t told us anything regarding women cricket (but) we are committed to maintaining and supporting women cricket,” he added.
The Australian Test captain Tim Paine had recently opened up on this entire scenario. He had stated that owing to this issue other countries might be reluctant to play against Afghanistan in the T20 World Cup and also questioned Afghanistan’s participation in the mega event. The ACB chairman, however, ruled out all the prospects and asserted that there is no threat to the country’s participation in the high-profile event.
“There’s no threat to Afghanistan’s participation in the T20 World Cup. We are already beginning our camp preparation. As a full-member team, our international relation with other full-member countries is very good,” Fazli asserted.