close
DOWNLOAD 100MB MOBILE APP

England pacer Ollie Robinson to take ‘short break’ from cricket

The Ollie Robinson episode has been stretched for quite a long time ever since the 27-year-old’s controversial tweets resurfaced on his debut day. In a recent turn of events, the Sussex pacer has decided to take a “short break” from the game after a “difficult week”.

After being suspended from all forms of international cricket pending England Cricket Board’s investigation, Robinson was asked to immediately leave England’s bio-bubble and join back his county team. The pacer was set to take part for Sussex in the ongoing edition of the T20 Blast, however, the new developments mean that he is set to miss Sussex’s fixtures against Gloucestershire and Hampshire on Friday and Saturday respectively.

After a difficult week, Ollie has decided to take a short break from the game to spend time with his young family,” read a Sussex statement.

Player and staff welfare – including mental health and wellbeing – is a priority for the club and, as such, Sussex Cricket fully supports Ollie in his decision. When he is ready to return, Ollie will be welcomed back to the club, where discussions with the remainder of the squad over the last week have made clear that he retains the support of all his Sussex teammates.

We remain in close contact with Ollie from a welfare perspective and will issue further updates on his availability at the relevant times,” it read further.

Divided views on ECB’s treatment of the Robinson case

Post the ECB’s strict call to hand Robinson suspension from all international cricket, the views of the cricketing fraternity have been divided. While some have reckoned the board’s call justified, a set of cricketers have found the punishment too harsh.

Notably, the offensive tweets made by Robinson are over a decade old, when he was a 16-year-old. On their resurfacing, the pacer issued a public apology.

I am embarrassed by the racist and sexist tweets that I posted over eight years ago, which have today become public,” said Robinson. “I am sorry, and I have certainly learned my lesson today.

I would like to unreservedly apologise to anyone I have offended, my teammates and the game as a whole in what has been a day of action and awareness in combatting discrimination from our sport,” said Robinson.

“I don’t want something that happened eight years ago to diminish the efforts of my team-mates and the ECB as they continue to build meaningful action with their comprehensive initiatives and efforts, which I fully endorse and support.

I will continue to educate myself, look for advice and work with the support network that is available to me to learn more about getting better in this area. I want to make it clear that I’m not racist and I’m not sexist. I deeply regret my actions, and I am ashamed of making such remarks,” he added.

It remains to be seen as to when will he make comeback in international cricket.

Leave a Response